Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Setting and Accomplishing Goals

On January 1st of every year we have a family planning meeting.  We set goals as a family and allow others to help us in the setting of goals.  Once a month we sit down to a fun easy meal and go over the goals.  This has worked well for the past three years and we will continue down this path.

I'm also a crazy to-do list kind of girl.  My husband knows, if I'm feeling overwhelmed and stressed out because of things going on in our life, that the way to make me feel better is to tell me me make a list.  So it is to daily to do lists that the day to day things are accomplished.  Sometimes Stephen will even add things to the list and I really enjoy that because I know it is something important to him that is going to be accomplished that day.

Recently though I began reading a blog called She Learns As She Goes.  This newly married lady has inspired me with not only her zest for life, but also her talent.  There are things she is doing in her marriage that makes me wish I could start over and accomplish some of these things, but the past is the past and I will just implement them now with joie de vivre.

Today she set her goals for the month.  These are things that take longer than a day, but it doesn't allow you to become lax by having an entire year to accomplish them.  This allows me to have a close, but far enough away deadline so that I can accomplish some bigger goals. At the end of the month, she gives herself a report card grade of what she has accomplished.  I have decided this would be a great thing for me to do so here I go with my goals for May.

1. Eat from my menu daily.  I know for some this isn't a big deal, but for my family this can be a really big deal.  With this being the worst time of the year for my allergies and sinuses, this will be difficult, but I know it will be better for us financially and physically.

2. Keep a company ready house. My house is never spotless and most of the times I'm fighting clutter and the chaos of children or my half finished projects.  At one point I had written down what a company ready house was, that list is on one of the computers in the house.  I need to find it and post it for the entire family.

3. Finishing reading 2 books. I am the world's worst person about starting a book and never finishing it.  Don't ask me how many I have sitting around about half way finished.  This month my goal is to finish at least 2 of those books.

4. Read to the kids daily.  I'm usually really good about keeping up with this, but there are days that it isn't a priority.  I need to make it a daily priority to make sure my children are being fed with good books, grammar and syntax.

5. Declutter my bedroom.  My bedroom is the place where things go that no one else knows where they belong, at least according to my children.  It is time the clutter moves out so it will become a relaxing place for my husband and I.

6. Clean Carpets.  This hasn't been done in a year and boy can I tell.  It is time to spruce up my carpets and see if what color they are again.

7. Declutter yarn.  I only collect two things Books and Yarn.  A while back my kids and some of their friends used my yarn for bombs.  Some of them are still in tangles and some were tossed.  I need to spend some time going through what I have to see if it is salvageable or time to pitch it.  I have some big projects coming up and I want to make sure I have what I need before I start them.

8. Blog weekly.  I have not been consistent in my blogging and I really regret this.  There have been some wonderful things happen in my life that I think at the time would be great to share, but I never seem to get around to it.  By making this a goal, I will make sure to accomplish this.

I know there are a lot of goals here, but some will be short and others will take time.  Most will just require consistency on my part.  So with this post I am dedicating myself publicly to accomplishing this task.

No comments:

Post a Comment