Tuesday, April 5, 2011

No one eats Peeps Mom

The weather is finally starting to act like spring. Hopefully we have seen our last frost and can begin our gardening. Stephen hasn't built our SFG, but it is a good thing with the way the weather has been.

Speaking of our garden here are a couple of pictures of our seedlings.

As you can see they are growing very well. We have only had to water them a few times. We are going to wait until the end of the week before starting tray 3. This way we can stagger out the planting and the harvesting.

In other plants I found some bulbs fairly cheaply that Audrey and I will be planting next week. It is my hope that the land across the creek will still have top soil. The soil here is so bad that we can't even grow tulips. I find this so disheartening, but Stephen says we won't do anything about it until AFTER we buy the house. He is right we need to save money to purchase the house, not to fix all of its problems, which includes finishing the basement (that's a totally different story).

The peeps are growing quickly. Pip says they don't look like babies anymore. Last week when he asked me what was for dinner I told him Peeps. He gave me a stern look and told me he would report me for animal abuse since NO ONE EATS Peeps. Won't he be surprised come Easter morning when he has Peeps in his basket, and not just yellow ones either. :D

Audrey held up a Peep for me to take a picture of it. They really don't like being held and we do leave them alone, but they will have to get over posing for the camera for now.



They have certainly grown. They are constantly eating, drinking, scratching and peeping. We still have an escapee now and then, but not much since Stephen put a lid on their box. Lily doesn't care for the lid as it keeps her from her "toys", but I just smile and give her a dog bone to chew on.

We made our first trip to the Louisville Zoo. It was a lovely day on Saturday. The kids had a great time even if the polar bear exhibit wasn't ready yet. William loved watching the seals play and splash around in the water. He kept asking if he could play too. I felt bad telling him no. Pip of course loved the penguins, but spent more time watching the monkeys. We didn't see everything, but I promised them we would come back. I'm so thankful we bought a dual membership to the Zoo and the Science Center.

Here are a few of my favorites.




If you are wondering about the goose..... well she about chopped a guys head off coming in for a landing at our feet. She then proceeded to look at each of the kids expecting them to feed her something. I have to admit it was my favorite part of the zoo. Don't get me wrong I love the animals, but this was priceless.

School is going well. We are finishing up right before Memorial Day. We don't have snow days here. :D The kids are thinking that it will mean NO school work and all playing, but I it won't be. We will have a garden to tend to. They will be gone the entire month of July at different camps. Not to mention summer reading and their nature journals. We will make time for field trips, camping and all kinds of other crazy things. As you can tell the education process never stops here. We are always learning about something. The kids are constantly asking questions. Like the other day Jackson asked when did men start wearing pants instead of sheets/togas like they did in ancient times. This leads to internet research.

Finally before I go, I found a yarn shop in Jeffersonville. It was small, but full of yummy yarn. All of it was wool, so a dear friend of mine would never go, but it was fun to play with. While we were there we found out about a Fiber and Music Festival that is happening in Charlestown at the end of the month. I guess I better save some pennies, because I will definitely want to bring home some new yarn to play with.

That's all for now from my little corner. May the sun shine down and you receive enough rain to allow your garden to grow.
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment